Enter the Dragon (1973)

 Enter the Dragon (1973)


1973’s Enter the Dragon was America’s…and my first foray into the kung-fu world of Bruce Lee. Prior to this film, Lee was an international superstar but has seen limited success in the States. This film changed everything. It became a very successful film, but sadly is the swansong for Lee due to his untimely death. I was incredibly surprised by how much I enjoyed this feature. The story is borderline silly at times, but I was taken aback how the story became a “low-rent” spy thriller a la James Bond…which I enjoyed. Lee has proven himself as a great actor and seeing his fighting moves impressed me. I try to avoid martial art films because they do not appeal to me, but I need to catch up on Bruce Lee’s work.

Due to Lee’s global success, Warner Brothers joined forces with Lee to produce the movie and bring it to a wider American audience. The production received a very modest budget, but director Robert Crouse and his team made every penny count. The screenplay was written by Michael Allin and it was considered an advanced screenplay. What I mean it that it gave equal and fair treatment to different races. Having heroic characters played by Black, Asian, and White people was unusual for its time. It was one of the main reasons why it reached an international audience. In addition to some excellent choreographed fighting scenes, the script manages some great lines. I liked the scene where Lee explained his style of fighting is “fighting without fighting.” A very wise human! I was expecting plenty of martial arts, but the script combined it with a thrilling, albeit a bit preposterous spy film which totally intrigued me.

This film takes place in Hong Kong in 1973. Lee (Bruce Lee) is a master of martial arts at a Shaolin Temple and believes his martial art skills are an essence of his spirituality. He is visited by a British law officer who invites him to a martial arts tournament held by Han, a reclusive billionaire who used to be a part of the Temple, but now is on the other side of the law. Han has initial reservations, but they quickly disappear when he learns that Han’s American sidekick was behind the death of his sister. He is now tasked to find out about Han’s drug and prostitution activities. In addition to Lee, two Americans, Roper (John Saxon) and Williams (Jim Kelly) also attend the proceedings. As the tournament begins, the three men are at the mercy of Han and his people.

When I think of the name, “Bruce Lee,” I think of martial arts expert before I think of him as an actor. This movie proves that he has some excellent acting ability, and I became emotionally invested in his character. Of course, he puts good use to his martial arts. People have complained that he does the same moves in each of his films (I have yet to find out), but I wouldn’t really care because they are awesome! The other actors deliver good performances although I would not say they did anything special, but serviceable enough to act alongside Lee. After all, this film is all about the power of Bruce Lee.

Overall, Enter the Dragon is a very fun movie. Yes, the story is silly, but Bruce Lee manages to save the story and create something fun out of it…and delivered real emotion. Lee would have been a mainstay in Hollywood if not for his premature death. Still, he managed to create something special…and perhaps a passing of the torch. Another man gifted in the kung-fu arts is seen as an extra…and that is Jackie Chan. This is a worthy action film worth seeing to see the gifts of Bruce Lee.

My Grade: B+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)

Broadcast News (1987)