Dangerous Liaisons (1988)

 Dangerous Liaisons (1988)


I know I am in the minority, but Stephen Frears’s adaptation of Dangerous Liaisons did not sit well with me. It is well-acted, but that is the only good thing. Costume dramas are hit-or-miss for me. I can either love them (Amadeus is one of the best films of all time) or find them dull, pretentious, and a waste of time. Sadly, despite the fantastic cast, this film falls in the latter. I tried to watch the film multiple times, but each time was a snoozer for me. Maybe it is the story itself? Maybe the idea of these horrible, like-minded people using seduction to instill pain on innocent women is not my idea of a good time. Yes, I am aware the film is based off a scandalous 18th-century novel and was a huge hit on stage both in New York and London. Still, the film could not satisfy my cinematic taste.

I mentioned in the above paragraph the story is based off a French novel that was published several hundred years ago written by Choderlos de Laclos. Christopher Hampton, who also wrote the film’s screenplay, turned the story into a mega theater hit. Alan Rickman made a name for himself in the lead role. Ultimately, Rickman did not get the lead role because Warner Brothers wanted an actor who already made a name for himself. Stephen Frears, who is an accomplished director, signed on to direct. As you might have gathered from my opening statements, this is not Frears’s best work. He is usually good at making appealing period dramas, but sadly not here. I will give this work points for being technically competent. Phillippe Rousselot uses beautiful French scenery to great effect. British composer George Fenton delivered a solid, if unspectacular score. And finally, the costumes are stunning…as they usually are in these type of dramas.

The setting of the move is France sometimes during the 1700’s. The Marquise de Merteuil (Glenn Close) has the habit of playing dangerous, seductive games with women chasing after love. For her latest scheme, she gets her former lover, the cad and rather irresponsible Vicomte de Valmont (John Malkovich) involved. He measures success by the number of conquests he has taken. His latest conquest? To seduce the very young Cecile de Volanges (Uma Thurman). He has no problem doing so. But he really wants to seduce Madame de Tourvel (Michelle Pfeiffer). He falls in love with her…which angers the Marquise de Merteuil. Murder is just around the corner for someone.

So, the performances are mostly solid throughout. With the fantastic cast, I felt like the performances could have even been better. I blame the story for that. John Malkovich was a surprise casting. Who would have ever though he would garnish one of those wigs? Well, he did and did his role pretty well. Never been the biggest Glenn Close fan, but I will admit she had some good scenes and good lines. Uma Thurman held herself with poise and maturity for someone her age and role. Michelle Pfeiffer was decent. Yes, even young Keanu Reeves appears! That’s said, was not enamored with his performance.

Overall, Dangerous Liaisons is a technically competent film that is let down by its surprisingly dull story. I am not the one to enjoy every costume drama, but it was especially hard to enjoy something that lacked charm, wit, and just a good story. I know there have been future adaptations (one from the great Milos Forman too, apparently), so maybe they will succeed in telling the story from a better, different perspective. I was very surprised it was so well received especially during the awards season. But each for their own. I am glad people found this to be the witty and funny film I wished it could have been.

My Grade: D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)

Broadcast News (1987)