The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974)

 The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974)


For my first Werner Herzog film, I will be the first one to admit my disappointment with his 1974 West German film, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser. Despite some scenes that literally entranced me with their powerful images and a unique performance from Bruno S, I was bored to almost tears with its nearly unbearable pacing. I am willing to give this film another shot as it perhaps my indifference could be to the fact, I was watching the movie with a migraine. Regardless, now I get a sense of the type of director Herzog is. A man who will not make his movies an easy watch. I can commend that type of director because he/she usually makes bold choices that either dazzle or fail. No matter the outcome, I love the ambition. That is why I actively seek out these types of movies.

The movie is based on real events and Herzog’s screenplay follow the events very closely…with the exception of a major point. Our main character was only 17 years old, and that is alluded to in the movie. But Herzog made a major casting decision, which quite frankly, sent shockwaves everywhere. Bruno S, whose last name was concealed for a long time, was a 41-year-old street performer with no acting experience. In addition, he spent more than twenty years locked in various mental institutions (although Herzog claimed he did not believe Bruno was insane). In a sense, Bruno’s life paralleled Hauser’s to a degree. Herzog looks for all these different types of people to inhibit his characters. Certainly what I call “fearless casting.” He believed Bruno was the best man for the role. Some people believe he was exploited. I do not believe so. He did give a good performance. He was a bit mischievous with the camera as you can tell with his side-eye of the camera.

This story is based on the real-life story of a mysterious man named Kaspar Hauser. One day in the year 1828, he suddenly appears in the German town of Nuremberg mute and mostly unable to walk. He had with him a very strange note. We later learn that he spent most of his younger life in captivity, hidden away in some dungeon. Because of reasons unknown, he was finally released and sent his own way. Thanks to some very kind benefactors, Kaspar is integrated into society for the first time. Results are mixed, but incredibly intriguing.

Overall, there were some moments of The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser that enthralled me. There were other moments that led me to sleep due to pacing issues. This is a story I want to know more about, but perhaps an eventual second viewing will take the blinders away from my eyes. Werner Herzog is someone that you need to know about when watching his movies because he tells his story in such fascinating, lyrical ways. He uses images to tell deep, profound stories. Sadly, this film did not have me emotionally attached. That said, he deepened my curiosity level.

My Grade: C

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)

Broadcast News (1987)